Joint Transition Team
The Joint Transition Team (JTT) was established in September 2018 in response to overwhelming feedback from across industry during the consultation phase of the Australian Dairy Plan, about the need for transformational change to industry structures and advocacy arrangements.
The Joint Transition Team’s (JTT) recommendations on reform of industry structures and advocacy arrangements were published in a report on 29 January 2020. The feedback period for the JTT report will extend beyond 2 March 2020 and a due date will be provided shortly. Dairy businesses can provide their feedback to organisations they are members of (such as state farming organisations and Australian Dairy Farmers, or the Australian Dairy Products Federation) and/or organisations that deliver levy-based services (Dairy Australia and Regional Development Programs). Direct feedback to the Australian Dairy Plan Committee is also welcome and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a vote, ideally held mid-year, to endorse a new industry structure. The intention is for the changes to be implemented by 1 July 2021.
JTT Member Bios
An eight person strong group of industry participants from across the dairy supply chain was appointed to form the JTT. Selection criteria for these appointments can be found in the overview document along with further information about the JTT. Read the media release announcing membership of the JTT. Detailed below is a brief bio of each JTT member and their industry involvement (past and present):
Shirley Harlock (JTT Chair)
Shirley is in a family partnership ‘Wollaston Farms’ comprising three farms covering 2000 hectares milking 360 cows in South Western Victoria.
- Chair, Future Dairy Industry Steering Group (2004 – present)
- Chair, AgCAP (2010 – present)
- Panel Member, DA Levy Poll review (2014 – present)
- Former Chair, Dairy Food Safety Victoria Board (2003 – 2012)
- Irrigator Representative, State Water for Growth Committee (2001 – 2003)
- Former Director, Australian Dairy Farmers Ltd (2000 – 2004)
- Former Executive Vice-President, UDV (1996 – 2005)
Adam is in a family partnership with his wife Catherine and have been involved in the agriculture industry for over 25 years the last 16 in primary production in South Western Victoria.
- South West Regional Extension Committee (2015 – 2018)
- Ministerial Appointment - Independent Advisory Panel – Agri. Energy Investment Plan (2018 – present)
- Former President, UDV (2015 – 2018)
- Former Director, VFF (2015 – 2018)
- Member Geoffrey Gardiner Foundation (2015 – 2018)
- Gardiner Foundation representative, Victorian Trade Mission to China (2015)
- Former Member, Australian Dairy Farmers National Council (2015 – 2018)
- Nuffield Scholar, (2011)Project Officer, Dept. of Agriculture (1996 – 1997)
Bruce has over 30 years of history in dairying, commencing in New Zealand, and for the last 15 years has been based in Australia. At a leadership level, Bruce has led several teams at processors Bonlac and Fonterra and has developed a strong network throughout the industry. Bruce currently has interests in several dairy farms in Tasmania.
- Chair, Dairy Farming (TAS) (2015 – present)
- Director, Van Dieman’s Land Co. (TAS) (2015 – 2018)
- Director, Compass Agribusiness Pty Ltd (2015 – present)
- Director, Moon Lake Investments (TAS) 2017 – 2018)
- Director, Australian Dairy Farmers Ltd (2017 – present)
- Director Operations & Ingredient Sales, Fonterra (2013 – 2015)
- Director, Group Sustainability Fonterra (2011 – 2013)
- Director, Dairy Australia (2010 – 2011)
- Group General Manager, Sustainability, Fonterra Aust. (2010 – 2011)
- Managing Director, Fonterra Ingredients Aust. (2008 – 2010)
Wes is a former dairy farmer with a long history of involvement with industry representative bodies. He lives in Toowoomba, Queensland.
- Former President, Australian Dairy Farmers Ltd (2009 – 2011)
- Former Chair, Australian Dairy Industry Council (2009 – 2011)
- Board member of Queensland Dairyfarmers’ Organisation
Malcolm is in a family partnership ‘Pyngama’ in a 700 head herd in South Western New South Wales.
- Member, NSW Farmers Dairy Committee (2016 – present)
- Member, Dairy Australia - Dairy Moving Forward (2014 – 2017)
- Director, Southern Growers (2014 – 2017)
- Member, NSW Primary Industries Ministerial Advisory Council (2013 – 2015)
- Chair/Vice Chair, Murray Dairy (2008 – 2015)
- Director, Murray Irrigation Limited (2005 – 2009)
A partner in a dairy farming business of over 400 hectares in West Gippsland milking 1000 cows. Was awarded the Weekly Times Dairy Farmer of the Year in 2016.
- Director/Deputy Chair, GippsDairy (2014 – present)
- Partner, SC & LA Finger - dairy farming operation (2007 – present)
Owner/partner in a dairy farm in Northern New South Wales.
- Interim CEO NORCO (July 2018 – present)
- Chair/Director, NORCO (1996 – present)
- Independent Chair, Australian Organic Industry Working Group (2017 – present)
Partner in ‘Janefield’ dairy milking 1000 cross bred cows in Northern Tasmania. Was awarded the 2015 ABC Rural Australian Dairy Farmer of the Year and 2016 Tasmanian Dairy Business of the Year.
- Member, Tasmanian Dairy Industry Authority (2017 - present)
- Executive Committee Member, Primary Employers Tasmania (2018 - present)